Guest harbour contact: Marlene Mitchell Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Lerwick event team are very pleased to welcome Aberdeen as a guest harbour in 2023, as Aberdeen has now been confirmed as an official host port for the Tall Ships Race 2025.
Aberdeen is the capital of Northeast Scotland and has a rich maritime history. The port was established in 1136 by King David I and is the oldest existing business in Britain. The harbour is in the vibrant heart of Aberdeen so shops, cafés, restaurants, bars, music venues, cinemas and the Art Gallery are just a few minutes walk away. Overlooking the harbour is the Maritime Museum which explores the history of the city from early merchant traders to the offshore energy boom of recent decades.
Aberdeen is famous for its granite architecture which gives the city a quality unique in the world. Within easy walk of the harbour there are grand Victorian buildings, older cobbled streets and neighbourhoods, and a recently developed city park. Slightly further afield is the impressive beachfront, amusement park, crazy golf, bowling, Aberdeen Sports Village, and the 15th century University campus.
Distance from Fredrikstad: 450 NM
Distance from Lerwick: 185 NM
General Facilities for ships/crew:
- Cafés & restaurants
- Clothes shops
- Laundry service providers
- Temporary toilets & showers
- Fresh water
- Shore power via 3rd party generators
Sports facilities for crew:
- Aberdeen Sports Village day pass:
- Gym- Exercise Class - Athletics - Squash - Swim - Football - Basketball - Badminton - Table Tennis - Public Diving
Activities & Places of interest for Crew:
- Free city walking tours - Maritime Museum, Provost Skene's (17th century) House, Aberdeen Art Gallery, Union Terrace Gardens.
- Street Food, dinner, and music entertainment at the Beach Ballroom.
- Art Deco Beach Ballroom music could include Ceilidh band, local live music acts, DJs, etc.
- Partnerships with local business to provide free access to cinema, indoor or ouotdoor amusements, and music venues.
- Outdoor social events could be arranged depending on local business support.