There are still opportunities for Guest Harbours to sign up to take part in the Cruise in Company leg of the Tall Ships Races 2023.
This is an excellent opportunity to welcome Tall Ships into your harbour with a choice to welcome your local community along to view the ships and perhaps arrange a programme of public social activities to attract visitors. A schedule of activities and visits to nearby cultural or historical sites can be arranged for Ships crew to sign up to - so that they can learn more about your city or town.
The main considerations for a Guest Harbour are:
- To provide Tall Ships with free port services including harbour dues, pilotage and tugs (if required).
- To provide confirmation of the number of Tall Ships the Harbour can accommodate on a given date.
- Guest harbours may work with their local authority or community to develop a crew and/or public programme of events, and appoint liaison officers (often volunteers) to assist the vessels.
- Larger ships may arrange to hire their decks to companies for Deck Parties. These are usually 2 hour receptions to generate income to the ship. Assistance with getting guests and any catering to the quayside and onboard may be needed.
- Some Tall Ships will do crew/trainee exchange while in port.
For examples of the kind of social and activity programmes which can be arranged, download the 2011 Cruise in Company Programme here.
Many Tall Ships make their deck spaces availble for private hire to businesses or individuals. This creates an excellent opportunity to host a reception or party for staff, clients or even friends and family. Some ships are able to offer catering facilities on board, while others will allow external caterers to bring food and drink aboard - access will need to be arranged with the port/harbour if vehicle access to the quayside is restricted.
Deck hires can also incorporate live music or microphone / speaker facilities for presentations or entertainment. These arrangments can be discussed directly with ships and facilities brought on board where required.
Some Shetland Tall Ships Sponsorship Packages include a deck hire as a sponsor benefit. These are normally arranged while the fleet is in Lerwick however it may be possible for sponsorship deck hires to be arranged at a Cruise in Company Guest Harbour where this is appropriate for the individual sponsor.
Once Ships begin to sign up for the 2023 Races, the Lerwick Project Team will be able to provide details of costs and facilities, and assist with bookings.