Launched in 1895 the vessel was named after the country's capital, which was later renamed Oslo. The vessel was originally built as a rescue boat which was stationed at Finmark in the north of Norway and in 1932 was converted to carry cargo. In the 1960's, Christiania was returned to a gaff-rigged sailing boat, with further refurbishment done in the later 1970's.
The 22 tonne vessel has a white, wooden hull which measures 13.95 metres from the total length of 18.20 metres including the bowsprit.
With a sail number of RS10, Christiania can carry 4 trainees and 4 crew.