Lerwick Harbour is a Tall Ships friendly port, with a long tradition of welcoming international tall ships and yachts.
The magnificent Norwegian sailing ship, Statsraad Lehmkuhl, is proud to call Lerwick its 'second home port' making regular visits between May to September from Bergen. Throughout the season, traditional vessels of all sizes and types arrive to provide an interesting focal point in the Town Centre.
Shetland’s own sail training vessel Swan LK243 has a popular sailing programme with trips from a short evening sail in coastal waters to longer ocean crossings to Scotland, England and the Nordic regions.
Lerwick is a naturally deep and sheltered port, protected by the neighbouring small island of Bressay, and can be approached from the north or south entrance to the harbour.
Lerwick Port Authority owns and manages all the port areas that were dedicated to berthing the Tall Ships, as well as the main event site areas at Victoria Pier and Holmsgarth. Victoria Pier is the oldest of the harbour areas operated by Lerwick Port Authority, having been opened in 1886.
The Pier is located in the town centre adjacent to the main retail and hospitality area on Commercial Street. Alongside Victoria Pier are Albert Wharf and Alexandra Wharf where additional berthing and quayside facilities were available.
Further along the shoreline, the Holmsgarth quayside area was also a primary berthing location for ships, adjacent to the main stage event site where the opening ceremony took place alongside musical and other entertainment.
All quaysides had provision of fresh water supplies and arrangements for waste water removal, fuel deliveries and refuse disposal/recycling by agreement. A range of single and three-phase power supplies were available at different locations.