Guest harbour contact: Daniel Lawson Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Yell is an island worth shouting about, and its northerly fishing village of Cullivoe - the main port - is the perfect mix of industry and idyllic Shetland scenery. Famed for its musicianship and maritime history, Cullivoe knows how to welcome the world.
Dating back to Viking times, the modern day Cullivoe harbour provides excellent shelter, berthing and anchorage, plus stores and other amenities. With an industrial pier and two small boat marinas, Cullivoe caters to North Sea fishing fleets as well as a thriving local aquaculture industry. With a population of only 200+ people, Cullivoe is among the UK's top ports for quantity and value of seafood landings.
Cullivoe has a community that instinctively understands the sea. As in 2011, a festival of events called 'Sail Yell' will form part of the programme for the 2023 Cruise in Company.
Cullivoe looks forward to inviting all vessels and crew to the warmest of welcomes in Shetland next summer.
Distance from Fredrikstad: 455 NM
Distance from Lerwick: 35 NM
General Facilities for ships/crew:
- Public toilets
- Water Supply
- Ice plant
- Stores by arrangement with local shop, R.S. Henderson.
- Diesel fuel may also be available (please enquire in advance).
Sports Facilities for crew
- Yell Leisure Centre (6 miles from the pier) - Swimming Pool - Sports Hall - Gym - Pool/Snooker - Table Tennis - Squash Court.
- Surfing/body-boarding at nearby Breckon beach.
- Traditional sailing/rowing trials from the Pier.
- Community 5km fun run around Cullivoe.
ACTIVITIES & PLACES OF INTEREST:
- Trips to award-winning local beaches.
- Guided tours of the Cullivoe Galley Shed (the home of the islands' Viking fire festival).
- Visit Shetland ponies.
- Walks to various beauty spots and archaeology sites.
- Watch sporting events on the big screen.
- 'Sail Yell' festival with Shetland food and drink, stalls, amusements, and - most importantly - live local music.